If there is one piece of the business puzzle that needs more health and safety rules than others, it’s the warehousing piece! This is the area of your business that is at the highest risk of problems and injuries and you have to do everything that you can to keep your people safe. It’s not just about the risk of injury here, but the risk of a lawsuit! You need to be able to boost productivity and run a warehouse that’s compliant, too, and a well-run warehouse is essential for the health of your business.
The space in which your people work has to be safe, from the https://www.rollpallet.co.uk pallets you use that are sturdy and easy to move, to the machinery in which you invest. If you’re sure about the equipment you’ve bought, then you’re going to feel confident about the warehouse you’re running. Here are some of the tips that you need to keep your warehouse safe.
- Look for the hazards. You have to think about the actual issues that can happen in your warehouse, and that means looking for the hazards before anything goes wrong in the first place. If you can identify the hazards in front of you, you’re going to be able to fix the issues before anyone starts working within it. Evaluate and make risk assessments of the space and make a list of all the things that go wrong.
- Keep up to date with employee training. If people know how to use the equipment that you have on the floor in the warehouse, they;re going to be better prepared to use it properly. Training is a must and it shouldn’t stop just because you bring someone into the company. Training should be regular and shouldn’t stop just because people know how to use things.
- Appropriate storage is a must in a warehouse environment. From the stock to the equipment, you need to ensure that the floor is clear as much as possible. You need to avoid trip hazards and improper storage can lead to stacks of stock falling from a height. By ensuring that your storage is tight, you can keep your stuff safe when they retrieve items.
- Hygiene is a must. A clean and maintained warehouse is going to keep people safe – slips and trips, etc, can be avoided with a clean warehouse. Encourage people to clean up after themselves and make sure that you hire the best cleaning team, too.
- It’s vital that you have the proper safety equipment in your warehouse. From steel capped boots to helmets and gloves, your employees have to be well-equipped to avoid injuries and accidents. Make sure that your staff are also aware of emergency exits and issues that can crop up with the wrong safety equipment.
The right safety procedures can ensure that you keep every single worker in your warehouse as safe as humanly possible, helping you to avoid a lawsuit and keep your business secure.